Football Speak writer
I was a writer for Football Speak, a football supporters’ opinion website, from July to November 2012. During this time I produced articles on topics including racism in football, Mark Hughes and the crisis at QPR, Ashley Cole’s England future, whether the Premier League is worth it and video replays.
Typical articles for Football Speak ranged from 500 words to 1,000 words, and were written in a conventional sports journalism style but embedded with opinion and designed to engage those interested in English, European and international football.
To view my portfolio of articles, visit the following page on Football Speak. A full list of my pieces for Football Speak is available below, including the date each story was published, page links and a brief description.
Some of the following articles have also been published on the homepage of This Chemical World.
- QPR in crisis: why the players are as much to blame as Mark Hughes, Monday November 19 2012 – Why Queens Park Rangers manager Mark Hughes is not the only reason behind the Rs’ abject start to the season.
- The misguided plan for a separate players’ union will divide football, Saturday October 27 2012 – The calls for an association of black footballers in the wake of anger over Kick It Out’s failings are divisive and dangerous.
- Why Ashley Cole shouldn’t be playing for England, Monday October 8 2012 – An automatic England ban for Ashley Cole isn’t the solution. Instead, he should be worried about the performances of Everton’s Leighton Baines.
- Will video replays ruin football, or save the beautiful game?, Saturday September 22 2012 – Following Everton’s 2-2 draw with Newcastle United on Monday, which was blighted by mistakes from the officials, does football need technology?
- The insular state of England – why don’t we export players?, Thursday August 2 2012 – Once upon a time, the idea of English players plying their trade abroad would not have been uncommon and unfamiliar – yet it has become so now.
- Is the Premier League worth it?, Tuesday July 17 2012 – Chris King looks at the latest Premier League television rights deal and what effect this revenue has had on the league over the past 20 years.