Loft For Words guest columnist
I was a guest columnist on Loft For Words, a Queens Park Rangers supporters’ website, from July 2011 to January 2013. During this time I produced regular pieces assessing the club’s recent fortunes, and penned articles designed to stir debate by focusing on newsworthy events and topics of interest to partisan readers.
Typical articles for Loft For Words ranged from 500 words to 1,500 words, and were written in a conventional sports journalism style but embedded with opinion and designed to cater to the viewpoints of QPR fans.
To view my portfolio of articles, visit the following page on Loft For Words. A full list of my pieces for Loft For Words is available below, including the date each story was published, page links and a brief description.
Some of the following articles have also been published on the homepage of This Chemical World.
- Beware a repeat of the great QPR transfer folly, Tuesday January 1 2013 – Why the club must learn from past mistakes during this transfer window.
- Where is the missing Moroccan?, Tuesday September 25 2012 – What has happened to playmaker Adel Taarabt?
- Rob Green with envy as QPR hail new Emperor César, Thursday August 30 2012 – The arrival of Inter Milan ‘keeper Júlio César looks set to squeeze out Green.
- Lads on tour, QPR’s summer of optimism, Monday July 16 2012 – Preparations for the new season appear to be running far more smoothly this time around.
- Barton’s round in the Last Chance Saloon, Tuesday June 26 2012 – Can the philosophical midfielder be reintegrated into the side following his misdemeanours?
- QPR’s Green day draws nearer, Friday June 15 2012 – If rumours are to be believed, Robert Green is on his way to west London.
- Your reputation precedes you, sir, Friday May 18 2012 – QPR need to move forward without troublemaker Barton.
- Relief v Stoke, but it’s out of our hands now, Wednesday May 9 2012 – Despite a late winner against the Potters, Rangers have it all still to do.
- One final rallying cry, Thursday May 3 2012 – Ahead of the visit of Stoke City, the troops are rallied for one last big push.
- Welcome to fortress Loftus Road, surrender your reputation at the door, Monday April 23 2012 – Joy unconfined as the Rs topple Tottenham Hotspur.
- QPR punished for familiar failings, Monday March 26 2012 – A dismal display at Sunderland and the storm clouds are gathering.
- Relax, we’ll be champions next year, Thursday March 8 2012 – Relegation beckons for the lacklustre Superhoops.
- Sublime to ridiculous, points surrendered to Villains and Wolves, Tuesday February 7 2012 – Blowing a lead twice against Aston Villa and Wolverhampton Wanderers puts QPR in deep trouble.
- The devil will find work for Joey’s idle hands, Wednesday January 25 2012 – Captain Joey Barton and the Twitter menace that is turning fans against him.
- Time for some home truths, Wednesday January 4 2012 – Two more games without a win and things are far from rosy at Loftus Road.
- Half term QPR report, and January sales wish list, Saturday December 24 2011 – Grading for Rangers at the midway point in the season, and a list of targets to chase in the new year.
- City near miss sets QPR up for tough battles ahead, Wednesday November 16 2011 – Winnable games ahead must be met with the same vigour and fight as Manchester City were.
- Chelsea’s whingeing flies in the face of facts, Thursday October 27 2011 – Complaints by visitors Chelsea over their 1-0 defeat to the Rs lack substance and truth.
- When is a refund not a refund?, Tuesday October 18 2011 – With Fernandes having offered fans a “rebate”, I argue that this act of generosity is questionable.
- Plenty of positives, but still that doubt, at new-look QPR, Monday September 19 2011 – Another note of caution amid an impressive 3-0 win away to Wolves and a home draw with Newcastle United.
- QPR finally Puncheon above their weight, but at what cost?, Monday September 5 2011 – A brief warning for fans amid the jubilation of the club’s high-profile transfer deadline day purchases.
- QPR learn the ropes on the road, Tuesday August 23 2011 – Thoughts on a vital, battling 1-0 victory over Everton at Goodison Park.
- Fernandes can make QPR a proper club again, Thursday August 18 2011 – Feelings of relief at Fernandes completing his acquisition of the club.
- Is the house QPR built on sand about to change hands?, Monday August 1 2011 – A look at the impending takeover by Malaysian businessman Tony Fernandes.